Wednesday 7 February 2007

Stick your 'developmental opportunity' up your hole

Always willing as I am to better myself, and to escape the cunt-infested farce that I currently work in, I decided a few weeks ago to apply for an internal 'developmental opportunity' that came up. I sent off the application, and after the Christmas holidays I received my invitation to attend their testing session at Wellington Park Hotel.

Now, I hasten to add to that this was not a promotion, it was a sideways move. An IT Technican job at Stormont Castle. I would be staying at the same grade. So off I went to the test.

When I got to the hotel, there was literally a couple of hundred people there. 'Not good', I thought. With tests over five days, around 2000 people would be tested. For 20 fucking jobs.

When I opened the test paper, I expected to be asked questions on aspects of IT, like protocols, network topologies, that sort of thing. Stuff that I'm qualified in. Oh no. What I sat was a glorified IQ test that Stephen Hawkings would have had trouble finishing. I left the room that day feeling demoralised and deflated.

I got the 'wise up and fuck off' letter today, which was what I had been expecting. With no disrespect to those who were successful, you can bet your bollix that those who will get the jobs will know fuck all squared about IT, which makes me think the whole thing is a stitch-up designed to give a veener of legitimacy (ie, Equal Opportunies and Fair Employment compliance) to a process in which who was getting what job was decided long before the competition was even advertised. Think I'm bitter? Cynical? Fucking right I am, and I'll tell you why.

The department that I work in has a very high turnover of staff. Which is no big surprise, because the senior management are about as much use as tits on a nun. The wrong people are filling the wrong jobs, and it shows, because you have cunts working in IT sections that know nothing about computers and people with severe personality disorders in charge of staff. The Chief Executive is a complete and utter wanker, and his fluffers that works directly beneath him come up with hare-brained like moving masses of people from building to building every couple of months solely to make it look like they're 'doing' something. They waste thousands of pounds a year on monthly glossy in-house magazines and hiring Samaritians-type counselling firms to listen to staff whinging, while most people in the department have to take on another part-time job solely to keep their heads above water because they are not paid a decent wage. Promotions are decided on whether you join your senior managers in the bar on a Friday night. Nepotism occurs on such a scale that it makes Fianna Fáil look like a child's fucking picnic party.

Never, EVER, get a job in the Northern Ireland Civil Service.

4 comments:

Brian Damage said...

So you didn't get your job. Hard luck. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities. Mercifully I haven't had a job like that to try my patience yet, but I'm sure there's plenty of time for that. A friend of mine is big into Dilbert; it sounds just like the shit that goes in the Northern Civil Service.

Anonymous said...

It's an international problem. Don't think it's a symptom of the civil service of the Occupied Counties.
Two years ago I filled out all the paperwork for the PA State civil service. When I took the test for an IT position I got a 99.8%. Then three weeks later I get a letter in the mail telling me I'm not qualified for the job. One I've been doing for the past twenty years!?!
Stupid gub'mints!

The Voice of Treason said...

I'm not bitter or anything lads. I've just been working in the place for 10 fucking years and despite application after application, I haven't progressed since the minute I set foot through the door. My face obviously doesn't fit.

JC Skinner said...

You're still not talking enough rugby, Voice!