Saturday 17 February 2007

Black Hacks Rule

My car is a piece of shit. It needs loads of work done to it, costing hundreds of pounds, and will be off the road for about two weeks. So I'm gonna have to rely on West Belfast's very own transport system, the humble black taxi.



For those who don't know, the black hacks go up and down the area like buses, all day long, and are reasonably cheap. They're quite an experience, a bit like riding in a rickshaw in China I would imagine. Five people, who don't know each other, squashed into a confined space for their journey. It's a bit like Big Brother on wheels. The black taxi drivers are a breed of their own, the men often going bare-chested on hot days (the only part of them that gets a tan is the forearm, which is perpetually bent out the window), and you can always be sure to hear David Dunseith on Radio Ulster's Talkback when travelling in the early afternoon. Drivers have their own spoken and sign languages, which is a curious mix of pigeon Gaelic and Belfast slang but are amongst the hardest working people in the city.

I love the black hacks.

... that is until I get my car back on the road again. Then when I'm stuck behind one, or one pulls out in front of me without indicating, I'll be back to calling them all the fuckers of the day.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I only ventured into one of those death traps once when i was in Ireland. There are much more pleasant ways to die you know!!

Brian Damage said...

Don't you have some sort of Dublin Bus type system up there? They asdvertise it down here as the Belfast metro Bus service.

The Voice of Treason said...

Hi Steph, thanks for dropping by! Yes if I were to be killed I would like the old Biblical execution of being stoned to death. Without the stones. What a way to go.

Yes Dario, we do have a Ulsterbus Metro up here but the black taxis came about in the early 70s at the height of the Troubles (TM) because buses refused to come into the area. The black hacks are used by thousands of people every day. They add a bit of character to the West, and as Steph says, the odd 'interesting' ride!

Anonymous said...

I love hacks! You are right they are like a brief Big Brother but noone gets voted out. You make your own decision to leave.

The Voice of Treason said...

They can be a death trap though Brian, and that's just driving behind them!