Thursday 25 January 2007

Radio Ga-Ga...

Even though I'm a 30-something, my musical tastes are very much rooted in the 1970s and 80s. That's why I like the Belfast radio station U105 so much, because it's a welcome change from the unlistenable shite, aimed at teenage mothers/spides/car thieves/people who wear too much jewellery, pumped out on Cool FM and Citybeat. My favourite listening time was while I was crawling home at 2mph along the Westlink after work (renamed the 'Best-link', after George Best, because it's blocked by 4pm everyday).

But now, the devil lets one rip in my face once again...

U105 have decided to let none other than George Jones, he of Clubsound fame, loose on our airwaves. What the fuck are you playing at?! This guy was sacked by BBC Radio Ulster six months ago for being, well, bollix. And now you have the audacity to lump me with him on my way home? Last week I was listening the smoothie tones of David Johnson playing great early 80s tunes; this week, I'm listening to a 62-year-old man interviewing primary school children about their pets. This isn't School-Around-The-Fucking-Corner you know. And stop calling your listeners 'my loves'. You're not playing to the commode users and TCM-watchers now.

C'mon Havelock House, sort it out, for fuck's sake.

No comments: